Student Learning Guru is a private educational development and consulting firm supporting educators and schools in their efforts to better reach all learners.
Student Learning Guru leverages Dr. Mike Muir’s three decades of working on innovative educational programs to provide practical guidance and professional development to schools and districts.
Dr. Mike Muir
Mike Muir has been a high school and middle school mathematics teacher, a middle grades technology integrator, a university practicum supervisor, a professor of middle grades education and educational technology, an educational developer and manager, a central office administrator, the Maine Learning Through Technology Director, and a Proficiency-based Learning Specialist with GEAR Up Maine.
Dr. Muir’s accomplishments include the following:
- One of the first technology integrators, forgoing teaching a separate technology course, to teaching technology skills as they are needed for projects in the core subjects
- Selected by Bette Manchester to serve on the original MLTI Design Team for Curriculum and Professional Development (MLTI – the Maine Learning Technology Initiative – is the first statewide 1to1 learning with technology initiative)
- Founder and Director of University of Maine at Farmington’s Maine Center for Meaningful Engaged Learning (McMEL), sharing resources with educators on leadership for school change, Customized Learning, technology for learning, and student motivation
- Developed the Meaningful Engaged Learning model of student motivation, which is a state-approved, research-based school improvement model in Louisiana, but used by educators across Maine and the country
- Participated nationally in the Association for Middle Level Education (formerly the National Middle School Association), including serving on the Research Advisory Board, a term on the Board of Trustees, and as President
- As Vice President for Learning Strategy, worked with the Citadel Group (private sector) to create schools designed to motivate students, including a career academy in Buffalo, NY, and non-traditional middle and high school programs and schools in South Carolina, Chester, PA, and elsewhere.
- Co-Authored, then supported, the School District of Philadelphia’s Magnet School Grant, which brought $7.5M into the district for a K-12 project-based learning program (as part of the Citadel Group)
- Developed the Leadership for School Change model, based on leadership lessons learned from MLTI and creating schools designed to motivate kids, which is used by several Maine districts to guide their technology and Customized Learning programs
- One of the leaders of Auburn’s Advantage 2014 development team, the first 1to1 iPad in primary grades program in the country
- Active in Auburn’s and Maine’s Proficiency-based and Customized Learning work
- Served as Learning Through Technology Director at the Maine Department of Education, where he oversaw MLTI, the country’s first and only statewide 1to1 learning through technology initiative.
- Developed the Maine Learning Technology Framework, placing learning firmly in the center of education technology efforts.
- Led Proficiency-based Learning and Shared Leadership efforts for Maine’s GEAR UP program working to increase the percentage of low income students who go on to some sort of post-secondary education.
Learn more about Dr. Muir’s projects:
- Maine Center for Meaningful Engaged Learning
- The Multiple Pathways Blog (learning, teaching, and leadership)
- The More Verbs Blog (learning through technology)